Simbec at a Glance
Founded in 1976 with a small team of researchers from the UK National Health Service, Simbec Research is now one of Europe’s leading contract research organisations specialising in early clinical research services for the international pharmaceutical industry.
- In 1979, Simbec was awarded the title; Small Company of the Year by the BBC for its pioneering work post the thalidomide tragedy.
- In 1980, Simbec moved into a single storey building (now occupied by its bioanalytical group) at its current location in Merthyr Tydfil.
- 1984 marked the addition of a new 2-storey clinic (now housing our Project & Data Management).
- In 1991, Simbec launched its Central Laboratory, offering pathology services to external sites as well as servicing its own.
- In 1994 a purpose built 3 storey Clinical Centre was commissioned, the prior existing facilities were refurbished & all three buildings were linked into the one building complex that we see today.
- In 1995, Simbec’s bioanalytical unit received its first GLP certification and validated its 200th bioanalytical method.
- 1999-2001: Simbec successfully passed a first ever joint UK GCP/GLP Inspection, successfully passed the first of its three FDA Audits, extended its Pharmacy facilities to include an aseptic suite, completed its 1200th project and recruited its 10,000th volunteer.
- 2003-2005: Simbec went through a sustained period of growth after it was acquired by its senior management team, following a management buy-out.
- In 2008, Simbec was acquired by Kilmer Capital Partners, private equity investors based in Ontario, Canada benefitting from the strong support services and procedures of its portfolio which included Algorithme a pharmaceutical CRO based in Quebec.
- In 2010, Simbec was the first Phase I CRO to renew its Phase I Standard and Supplementary Accreditation from the MHRA.
- In 2013, Simbec former owners Dr Trevor Tanner and Mr Howard Jenkins, with investment from the Wales Life Sciences Investment Fund, acquired the company. This was the maiden investment of the newly created £100m WLSIF fund managed by Professor Sir Christopher Evans’ Arthurian. Professor Trevor Jones, board director at Arthurian and former head of research and development at Wellcome, became chairman of Simbec.
After over 35 years in business, Simbec Research has conducted over 1500 early phase clinical studies, created, planned and managed within a wide range of therapeutic areas. Simbec is dedicated to quality and Simbec’s expertise in the conduct of experimental human pharmacology, particularly Phase I First in Human and Phase IIa proof of concept clinical trials is world-renowned.